PYONGYANG - North Korea continued to fire short range projectiles into waters off its east coast for a third straight day on Monday, officials here said, despite warnings from the US and South Korea against increasing tensions. The North has conducted six such firings since Saturday, in what are believed to be tests of short-range guided missiles or rockets from multiple launchers, officials ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
GENEVA - Canadian aeroplane maker Bombardier has expanded its leading Challenger family of business jets with the launch of the new Challenger 350 aircraft in collaboration with global leader in private aviation, US firm NetJets. The launch on Monday was held at a special event here at the European Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition (EBACE). Bombardier said deliveries of the ...
Miranda Kerr bared her boobs while shooting an ad for her new make-up range 'Kora Organics' on Miami Beach, Florida. The Victoria's Secrets beauty, 30, was spotted giggling as she struck a pose, the Sun reported. However, an assistant covered the Aussie star, who is married to actor Orlando Bloom. ...
American singer Mary J. Blige has been slapped with a 3.4-million-dollar bill by Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS filed a federal tax lien against the 42-year-old singer, claiming that she failed to pay all her income taxes for 3 years 2009 (574,907.30 dollars), 2010 (2,203,743.53 dollars) and 2011 (647,604.60 dollars), TMZ.com reported. Meanwhile, the State of New Jersey has claimed ...
52.9°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the WSW at 3.0 MPH
Even by the baroque standards of Dario Argentos oeuvre, which frequently casts narrative coherence to the winds of stylistic excess, Phenomena is simply too much. Described by the director as a supernatural thriller, Phenomena is set in the Swiss Alps and tells t ... ...
A man from Chicago rode Ferris Wheel for more than two days - 384 times, up and around - to break the existing world record. Clinton Shepherd, a park operations manager of Chicago's Navy Pier, who spent 48 hours, 8 minutes and 25 seconds riding Navy Pier's Ferris wheel over the weekend, said that he thought that Chicago - birthplace of the ride - should have the title, People magazine ...
Paraguay has become the main destination in South America for used cars from Japan, the US and other countries, thanks to new regulations aimed at making it easier to import automobiles so low-income consumers can purchase vehicles. Used cars are all the rage in Paraguay, where vehicles that have been shipped from thousands of kilometers away are put to use as soon as they are repaired and made ...
The United States said the right to global religious freedom was challenged last year, with governments often creating a "climate of intolerance" leading to hatred and violence. In an annual report, the State Department said Monday government officials worldwide are often allowed to act with impunity while violating the religious rights of their countrymen. It said there often is uneven ...
Burmese President Thein Sein is visiting the White House, becoming the first leader of his nation to do so in nearly half a century. It marks the latest U.S. effort to reward him for introducing reforms after decades of military rule. The White House meeting with President Barack Obama also represents a rapid diplomatic boost for Thein Sein, whom the United States removed from a blacklist ...
Public diplomacy experts say a difference in perceptions dating back to the Cold War era could hamper U.S. and Russian efforts to deal with the ongoing civil war in Syria. Heritage Foundation senior fellow Helle Dale said there is a "love-hate" relationship between the United States and Russia that is "quite complicated." On VOA's Encounter program, Dale said she agrees with an ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Pan Pacific Hotel, Vancouver, Canada
This spectacularly located waterfront hotel backs on to the CBD and the Gas Light district at Canada Place, adjoining the ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
San Francisco StarSan Francisco Star – San Francisco News Headlines, Local & Global
The San Francisco Star is essentially a local San Francisco newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for San Francisco, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets. The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy. We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding of the news we deliver. Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news. We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of San Francisco, California, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the San Francisco Star.
Authorities have arrested the 12-year-old brother of an 8-year-old girl who was mysteriously stabbed at her home in a rural Northern California community last month.
CBS News quoted Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz, as saying that the boy will be charged with homicide.
The boy had told police last month that he encountered an intruder in the home on the day Leila Fowler was killed. He described the man as being tall with long gray hair.
The April 27 attack shook the tight knit Valley Springs community of about 7,400 people and set off a massive manhunt. Investigators did a door-to-door sweep of houses, storage sheds and horse stables. (ANI)
- Samuelson Is health care spending slowdown for real
- Letters The buck stops here
- My view Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Letters Government health care
- Letters Beware slippery slope
- Depardieu to open restaurant in Russian city
- Radcliffe peoples confidant in pubs
- Lumina apartment building honors Denver restaurant Pagliaccis past
- Flocking for a taste of Evesham
- Good Taste Spicy new noodles
- Ignoring warnings North Korea continues to fire projectiles
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Former Pakistani military dictator Musharraf granted bail
- Over 60 killed in Iraq terror attacks
- 23 militants of Hezbollah group killed in clash with Syrian rebels
- Miley Cyrus and Paris Hilton trapped in swatting incident again
- Bradley Cooper takes cooking lessons from Ramsay
- Lady Gagas tattoo parlour visit helped her bag Machete Kills role
- Jennifer Lawrence brother being stalked
- Sacramento area rated high for women
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Metals Stocks Gold prices rise following up on ‘key reversal’
- Why Jason Rose called it quits with Amys Baking Co.
- One of the Few in Hollywood Who Can Say ‘No’ to Harvey Weinstein
- Vidale I was bypassed for promotion
- Assistant Marketing Manager - Global Company
- NowThis News Attracts High-Profile Supporters
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest San Francisco Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Green Beret from Hayward buried in Arlington National Cemetery
- Fire danger again peaks as temperatures climb across Bay Area
- MLB San Francisco 8 Washington 0
- Transit agency board to vote on Central Subway contract
- Central Subway report details lack of time money contingencies